HomeNFLNew York Jets can’t afford to make this franchise-crushing mistake (again)
New York Jets can’t afford to make this franchise-crushing mistake (again)
April 25, 2021
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — A take a look at what’s taking place across the New York Jets:
1. Go O, Joe: By his personal admission, normal supervisor Joe Douglas failed to provide former quarterback Sam Darnold with sufficient assist to prosper — a contemporary scar for the group. Now he will get a mulligan with a second quarterback, presumably BYU’s Zach Wilson, and it will be the definition of madness if he lets it occur once more.
“In case you’re making an attempt to place your self in a very good scenario, this entire draft could be about Zach Wilson, not less than early on,” stated NFL Community draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout who labored with Douglas on the Baltimore Ravens. “We will commit as many assets as we will to provide him the chance that Sam did not have — which is to have some good folks in entrance of him and quite a lot of choices of the place to go together with the soccer.”
Finest-case situation for the Jets within the 2021 NFL draft (April 29-Might 1 in Cleveland, on ESPN and ESPN the App): Douglas lands a plug-and-play guard, a dual-threat working again and a house run hitter at extensive receiver.
The Jets helped themselves in NFL free company by signing Corey Davis and Keelan Cole at extensive receiver, however there’s room on the inn as a result of Cole and Jamison Crowder will likely be free brokers in 2022. If one of many Alabama receivers slips previous the No. 12 choose, the Jets, selecting twenty third, ought to use one among their 2022 second-rounders to commerce up for DeVonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle. Tight finish is also a necessity, however the place thins out fairly rapidly after Florida’s Kyle Pitts. The offensive line requires a lift, particularly the inside.
On the identical time, Douglas cannot get too Zach-centric together with his choices. It could make no sense to go on a extremely rated cornerback at 23, maybe Northwestern’s Greg Newsome II, for the sake of drafting an offensive lineman. Good groups draft the “finest participant out there” and use free company to fill wants. Within the Jets’ case, if two gamers have related grades, they need to lean offense.
It is a delicate spot for Douglas. He desires to appease his defensive-minded coach, Robert Saleh, however he additionally should acknowledge the plain: The Jets have stunk on offense for a very long time. In whole yards, they’ve ranked twenty sixth, twenty eighth, twenty ninth, thirty second and thirty second over the previous 5 seasons — and you’ll’t blame former coach Adam Gase for all of that.
“There is a steadiness you are making an attempt to strike,” Douglas stated. “You are making an attempt to construct the perfect group you’ll be able to presumably construct — offense, protection and particular groups. It is also necessary to do all the pieces we will to offer what we will to make a younger quarterback profitable.”
Prediction: Douglas is not going to make the identical mistake twice. He’ll attempt to defend his career-defining funding.
2. Intangibles matter: One of many issues groups wished to find out about Wilson throughout the vetting course of was his management skill. The hullabaloo about his captaincy (he was named a captain by the coaches, however not chosen by teammates) sparked rumors, together with some whispers about his angle.
That is what an AFC scout stated about that: “Does he have vanity? Yeah, perhaps. There’s some cockiness, however quite a lot of skilled athletes have that.” The scout famous Wilson led BYU to its most profitable season in 25 years, suggesting it would not have been attainable if the group did not think about its quarterback.
In speaking to folks about Wilson, the phrase that constantly got here up was “aggressive.” Hey, there’s nothing mistaken with just a little aggressive vanity.
There will likely be a ton of stress on Wilson, most likely greater than Darnold confronted in 2018. Sadly, Wilson will not have a seasoned professional comparable to Josh McCown to assist with the transition.
Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay reply to a query about why Justin Fields is projected to fall beneath Trevor Lawrence, Mac Jones and Zach Wilson.
3. Foolish Philly: Throughout Zoom calls, the Jets tried to place prospects in “high-stress conditions,” in response to Douglas. The purpose was to see how they processed data by getting them to spit out calls and checks on performs that had been punched up on video. They tried to shake it up, holding issues gentle, however they apparently did not use a web page from the Philadelphia Eagles’ playbook.
“I have not seen any good rock, paper, scissors battles but,” Douglas cracked.
4. Collectively once more: After final 12 months’s digital draft, the Jets’ brass will likely be again in their very own draft room. Per league guidelines, they may have 15 particular person tables within the room, socially distant. Everybody should put on a masks. These that may’t get within the room will likely be dialed into the room through Microsoft Groups.
5. Excessive on Mosley: Douglas has made 11 participant trades in 22 months, so do not be stunned if he pulls off one other throughout the draft. There aren’t many candidates on the roster, however the one to observe is center linebacker C.J. Mosley, who hasn’t performed a whole recreation in two years due to accidents and an opt-out.
Saleh made it sound like they haven’t any want to commerce Mosley, calling him a “super chief and an amazing soccer participant” who can play in any scheme. He stated he is “excited” to work with Mosley, hoping to get him again to being “the star that he is been.” Disclaimer: ‘Tis the season for posturing.
Mosley’s burdensome contract, coupled with the addition of Jarrad Davis, has fueled the commerce hypothesis. I am curious to see what the Jets do if Notre Dame linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah slips to No. 23. He is quick and tenacious, a super slot in Saleh’s 4-3 scheme. That is excessive for an off-ball linebacker, however it’s value noting Douglas was a part of a Ravens scouting workers that drafted Mosley No. 17 total in 2014. Owusu-Koramoah has the power to play the weak-side place.
6. Riser, faller: It would not be a shock if the Jets choose an edge rusher with the twenty third or thirty fourth choose, however it will shock me if it is Miami’s Jaelan Phillips. Not solely are there medical questions (three concussions, a number of wrist surgical procedures), however he has off-the-field questions that groups are sorting via. He would not sound like a match, contemplating the emphasis on character. On the flip aspect, they’re intrigued by Syracuse cornerback Ifeatu Melifonwu, who might be a consideration within the second or third spherical.
7. No sophomore jinx allowed: For the Jets’ sake, you hope the ’21 draft class stays more healthy than the ’20 class. Deal with Mekhi Becton, extensive receiver Denzel Mims, security Ashtyn Davis and cornerback Bryce Corridor, all of whom are being counted on to play huge roles, missed a mixed whole of 23 video games. The Jets’ success in 2021 will likely be decided, partially, by this group’s skill to make main strides.
8. Child QBs: The concept of beginning a rookie at quarterback is not international to Saleh. In his three earlier teaching stops, his group by no means shied away from inexperienced signal-callers.
Seattle Seahawks, 2012: Russell Wilson, a rookie, began from Day 1.
Jacksonville Jaguars, 2014: Ditto, Blake Bortles.
San Francisco 49ers, 2017: Jimmy Garoppolo was in his fourth season, however had solely two profession begins previous to his mid-season commerce to San Francisco.
“I by no means actually thought of that,” Saleh stated of the development. “We have seen successes with Russell, and we have seen issues go not so effectively in Jacksonville. One factor I can attest to: From a schematic standpoint, the scheme that [offensive coordinator Mike] LaFleur is bringing is the perfect scheme on the earth, for my part.”
Saleh’s experiences, each good and dangerous, ought to serve him effectively as a result of we all know he could have a rookie in 2021.
9. Jersey speak: I am with Tampa Bay’s Tom Brady. The NFL’s new uniform-number rule is “dumb.” What is the level?
10. So that you’re saying there’s an opportunity? Since 2001, solely 9 groups have gained seven or extra video games after profitable two or fewer the season earlier than, per ESPN Stats & Data. That is what the 2021 Jets, coming off a 2-14 report, are up towards.