HomeNFLNFL 2021 mock draft: Trevor Lawrence is No1 but who are the sleeper picks?
NFL 2021 mock draft: Trevor Lawrence is No1 but who are the sleeper picks?
April 29, 2021
Editor’s notice: the checklist under is the gamers we imagine groups will draft fairly than who we expect they ought to draft.
1) Jacksonville Jaguars
Choose: Trevor Lawrence, quarterback, Clemson. The Jaguars can’t miss with Lawrence. He dominated from minute one as a freshman by to the top of his junior yr and is seen as probably the most promising quarterbacks ever. He hits all three ranges precisely, has a fragile contact and might preserve a protection off stability along with his operating. Lawrence ought to be the face of Jacksonville’s franchise for a decade or extra.
2) New York Jets Choose: Zach Wilson, quarterback, BYU. One other useless cert is Wilson receiving New York’s crown of thorns. Unimaginable in his remaining season for BYU, he delivered the best grade from a school passer ever recorded by Professional Soccer Focus, beating marks set by Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. His improvisational expertise (very similar to his namesake in Seattle) makes him an awesome match for Jets head coach Robert Saleh as there will probably be teething issues. Wilson will want extra assist in safety and weapons than his predecessor to flourish, however GM Joe Douglas seems to (possibly) have figured that downside out after a promising free company.
3) San Francisco 49ers (from Houston, by way of Miami) Choose: Mac Jones, quarterback, Alabama. GM John Lynch has put religion in head coach Kyle Shanahan to seek out the group’s subsequent franchise quarterback after shifting as much as transfer on from Jimmy Garoppolo. They need to go for Justin Fields however toasting Clemson with damaged ribs within the faculty playoff semi-finals appears to have been neglected due to (unfounded) questions on work ethic. Not the best of appears, however again to Jones. What he lacks in flashy massive throws he makes up for with supreme decision-making and pinpoint accuracy. Sounds higher than Jimmy G already.
4) Atlanta Falcons Choose: Trey Lance, quarterback, North Dakota State. The Falcons begin planning for the post-Matt Ryan period. Ryan turns 36 in Might and with Matt Schaub lastly gone, Lance can instantly step in as his backup. The Falcons can nab the most effective operating QB within the class – and he has an enormous, if generally inaccurate, arm.
5) Cincinnati Bengals Choose: Penei Sewell, offensive sort out, Oregon. Cincinnati could think about upgrading their gossamer-thin o-line in order that Joe Burrow doesn’t have to run for his life each time he drops again. Sewell ought to give his QB some room to work. He allowed solely 15 pressures on 706 blocking makes an attempt in faculty and, helpfully for the Bengals’ mediocre operating sport, he’s a grasp at breaking open lanes too.
6) Miami Dolphins (from Philadelphia)
Choose: Kyle Pitts, tight finish, Florida. Miami decide up a premium offensive weapon. A supreme playmaker, the comparisons with George Kittle and Travis Kelce will fear the AFC East if he lands with the Dolphins. Ought to kick on QB Tua Tagovailoa’s improvement too.
7) Detroit Lions Choose: Ja’Marr Chase, huge receiver, LSU. The cabinet is naked at receiver (and all over the place else) for the Lions after shedding Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones in free company. The Lions take the most effective on the board in Chase. The receiver’s tempo and talent to create late separation ought to give Jared Goff a greater probability of selecting up just a few wins whereas Detroit’s rebuild continues into subsequent season.
8) Carolina Panthers Choose: Devonta Smith, huge receiver, Alabama. Heisman winner Smith is the tonic Sam Darnold must make an on the spot splash in Carolina (I nonetheless imagine, Sam). A frightening Panthers offense may very well be within the making with Christian McCaffrey and DJ Moore round too.
9) Denver Broncos
Choose: Justin Fields, quarterback, Ohio State. The mission to interchange Peyton Manning is lastly over, 5 lengthy Brock Osweiler nightmare-laced years forgotten. Fields mercifully falls in Denver’s lap after being unfairly pegged to flame out like fellow Buckeye Dwayne Haskins. He’ll do something however.
10) Dallas Cowboys Choose: Patrick Surtain, cornerback, Alabama. Dallas want pressing assist at cornerback. Surtain is a stable guess after placing up three years of environment friendly manufacturing for Alabama and suits Dan Quinn’s hybrid 4-3 scheme.
11) New York Giants Choose:Kwity Paye, edge rusher, Michigan. The G-men have been surprisingly stout towards the run final season however struggled towards the move. Paye has nice quickness and energy, good instruments for creating quarterback strain or setting the sting.
12) Philadelphia Eagles (from San Francisco, by way of Miami) Choose: Jaylen Waddle, huge receiver, Alabama. The veterans have flown the coop, whereas JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Jalen Reagor seem unlucky busts, so receiver expertise is prime of the agenda. Waddle’s explosive velocity will stretch the sphere including a deep risk for Jalen Hurts or dwelling statue Joe Flacco.
13) Los Angeles Chargers Choose: Christian Darrisaw, offensive sort out, Virginia Tech. LA have their quarterback however want one remaining piece on their revamped offensive line. Incumbent left sort out Trey Pipkins was fifth in missed blocks in 2020 whereas 6ft 5in, 322lb Darrisaw solely coughed up six in 293 makes an attempt final season. Justin Herbert, MVP?
14) Minnesota Vikings Choose: Rashawn Slater, offensive sort out, Northwestern. Kirk Cousins wants assist: a median of three sacks a sport punished their quarterback final season. The Vikings’ greatest guess is Slater. 5 pressures allowed in 11 begins within the Large Ten ought to assist preserve Cousins from being acquainted with the bottom fairly so typically.
15) New England Patriots Choose: Christian Barmore, defensive sort out, Alabama. Except New England commerce up, or have Jimmy G on their radar, the smart decide is including a stud on the inside to convey again the trademark fireplace on protection. Barmore is an elite move rusher and run stuffer, a Belichickian dream.
16) Arizona Cardinals Choose: Jaycee Horn, cornerback, Virginia Tech. The Cardinals waved goodbye to their beginning nook pairing so that they attain for Horn. A fierce defender in man protection who is usually a shutdown starter from the off in Arizona.
17) Las Vegas Raiders
Choose: Micah Parsons, linebacker, Penn State. The Raiders would possibly want extra assistance on the o-line however Parsons is simply too good to move on. Electrical in stopping the run and dashing the passer. Patrick Mahomes could not quake in his cleats however some assist stopping him recurrently dropping 35 factors on you feels the appropriate choice.
18) Miami Dolphins Choose: Teven Jenkins, offensive sort out, Oklahoma State. Miami preserve constructing for Tagovailoa. Confidence was briefly provide for his or her rookie, and he’ll profit from better belief in his safety with Jenkins holding the fort. Ought to begin from week one, an excellent, brutal move and run blocker.
19) Washington Choose: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, linebacker, Notre Dame. Washington could be tempted by a left sort out however Owusu-Koramoah’s means to enhance Ron Rivera’s already nasty protection may preserve the cupcake NFC East locked up for an additional yr. Incessantly lined up within the slot for Notre Dame, versatility is his sturdy go well with.
20) Chicago Bears Choose: Trevon Moehrig, security, TCU. The Bears backfield may very well be a harmful place to go to with the addition of Moehrig. He excels within the slot and at free security whereas doing his greatest work as a part of a tandem, so working with 2018 All-Professional Eddie Jackson bodes properly.
21) Indianapolis Colts Choose: Jaelan Phillips, edge rusher, Miami. The Colts may use a associate for DeForest Buckner. Phillips has an alarming harm historical past however his knack of breezing previous offensive lineman is exclusive on this class. A threat however with potential for enormous reward.
22) Tennessee Titans Choose: Rashod Bateman, huge receiver, Minnesota. Bateman can swing to Ryan Tannehill’s rescue out huge or within the slot. He was knocked for a scarcity of athleticism, however the Titans will profit from the draft cognoscenti’s lack of empathy concerning a brutal bout of Covid for the receiver that left Bateman bedridden for 2 weeks and 10lbs lighter.
23) New York Jets (from Seattle) Choose: Gregory Rousseau, edge rusher, Miami. Rousseau is growth or bust however Robert Saleh’s protection wants expertise on the sting to succeed. There’s a small pattern measurement of his work to evaluate after he was injured as a freshman after which opted out on account of Covid issues. However Rousseau led the ACC in sacks and tackles for a loss in 13 video games again in 2019.
24) Pittsburgh Steelers Choose: Alijah Vera-Tucker, offensive sort out, USC. Pittsburgh’s offensive line wants main surgical procedure to get the operating sport going once more. Vera-Tucker can play each guard and sort out whereas specialising in run blocking. Excellent … if they will discover one other Le’Veon Bell in spherical two.
25) Jacksonville Jaguars (from LA Rams) Choose: Elijah Moore, huge receiver, Ole Miss. They’ve their star quarterback however Lawrence wants targets. Moore suits the invoice as a receiver with velocity who excels within the slot and has the customarily neglected ability of slipping these in pursuit.
26) Cleveland Browns Choose: Jamin Davis, linebacker, Kentucky. Davis finds a brand new dwelling in Cleveland. A probable starter come September contemplating the Browns’ talent-lite linebacking crew. Davis chases runners down with ease and might play on the within or outdoors.
27) Baltimore Ravens Choose: Azeez Ojulari, edge rusher, Georgia. Ojulari is undersized however as quick as lightning with chic approach. If he hits the health club in Baltimore he has a number of veterans to study from whereas bolstering their move rush.
28) New Orleans Saints
Choose: Terrace Marshall Jr, huge receiver, LSU. Marshall could be an awesome asset if New Orleans take the Jameis Winston route at quarterback. A downfield risk who catches contested balls with ease.
29) Inexperienced Bay Packers Choose: Greg Newsome, cornerback, Northwestern. The Packers haven’t any obtrusive holes within the roster however Newsome could be an awesome associate for second-team All-Professional Jaire Alexander. Hermetic protection will go away receivers within the NFC North gasping for air.
30) Buffalo Payments Choose: Carlos Basham Jr, edge rusher, Wake Forest. Buffalo’s move rush wants a refresh with Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison into their 30s. Basham is an explosive 285lb power of nature who any sort out will hate blocking. A optimistic coronavirus check reduce his remaining yr brief however he ought to slot straight into the Payments’ rotation on protection.
31) Baltimore Ravens (from Kansas Metropolis) Choose: Jayson Oweh, edge rusher, Penn State. Oweh’s approach isn’t good however his unbelievable athletic means balances his deficiencies considerably. A roll of the cube and one other defensive expertise to assist drive a deep playoff run.
32) Tampa Bay Buccaneers Choose: Levi Onwuzurike, defensive sort out, Washington. The Bucs want defensive depth. Onwuzurike as an understudy to Vita Vea suits the invoice. There are few higher to indicate the rookie methods to wreak havoc from the within.