For a pair months, I’ve been piggybacking off Elliotte Friedman and our personal Brandon Cohen on this weekly thought put up. Whereas I’d often do these ad-hoc, I preferred the concept of consistency and a typical theme. This week, let’s speak concerning the Rangers scouting route, and if firing Nick Bobrov was a sign of adjustments to come back.
As an apart: I’ve been toying with the concept of including this weekly put up behind a Patreon (subscribe right here) for a pair bucks a month. You’d wind up, on common, paying about 50 cents every week for it. Let me know your ideas on that within the feedback.
1. It was just a little stunning to me that the Rangers fired European Scouting Director Nick Bobrov over the weekend. Bobrov came visiting from SKA St. Petersburg in 2015-2016, and held the function for six years. In these six years, he did a comparatively respectable job:
- 2016 Draft: Tarmo Reunanen (4th spherical)
- 2017 Draft: Lias Andersson (1st), Filip Chytil (1st), Calle Sjalin (fifth), Dominik Lakatos (sixth), Patrik Virta (seventh)
- 2018 Draft: Vitali Kravtsov (1st), Nils Lundkvist (1st), Olof Lindbom (2nd), Jakob Ragnarsson (third), Lauri Pajuniemi (fifth), Simon Kjellberg (sixth)
- 2019 Draft: Kaapo Kakko (1st), Karl Henriksson (2nd), Leevi Aaltonen (fifth), Adam Edstrom (sixth)
- 2020 Draft: Oliver Tarnstrom (third), Hugo Ollas (seventh)
2. The main focus right here goes to be on Andersson, since he was the primary top-ten decide for the Rangers shortly and it was a large whiff. Hindsight is 20/20, everyone knows that. There are large names on the board like Gabriel Vilardi, Martin Necas, Nick Suzuki, and Robert Thomas. It could have been good to get one in every of them along with Chytil.
Nonetheless that’s not how the draft works. None of these guys have been projected to go top-seven. The most important determination was Andersson or Casey Middlestadt, and each are fairly dangerous. Middlestadt can’t even maintain a everlasting spot on the Sabres. That’s not precisely a great factor. Generally that’s simply how the draft works.
The purpose I’m making is that there’s definitely a good quantity of criticism with the Andersson decide, and with a few of Bobrov’s picks generally. Nonetheless I do imagine the vitriol spewed on the Rangers for the Andersson decide is a bit unwarranted.
3. It’s price noting that the Rangers didn’t need to keep at #7. If reminiscence serves, they wished one in every of Cale Makar (4th total) or Elias Pettersson (sixth total). When that didn’t occur, they zeroed in on Andersson, as he wouldn’t be obtainable in the course of the spherical in the event that they traded again. They picked the child with probably the most professional expertise, and it didn’t work out. It’s what it’s.
However ask yourselves this: If the Rangers obtained Necas or Suzuki, would they’ve been in the identical positions to win each the 2019 and 2020 draft lotteries? Would both have added sufficient factors within the standings to maneuver them again a spot? Would the Rangers nonetheless have traded for Ryan Strome?
Numerous what-ifs that stem from Andersson wanting like a whiff.
4. My solely two qualms with Bobrov have been the overagers in 2017 and the early goalie choice in 2018. I don’t like drafting overagers as a common technique, and infrequently have I seen it truly work out. Granted these have been dart throws within the sixth and seventh rounds, however nonetheless the philosophy stands. In these rounds, they may have been the very best choices, however we’re additionally nonetheless in too quickly to inform territory.
As for early goalies, not many individuals preferred that Lindbom decide. There have been a lot better choices, and Lindbom, at the very least for now, doesn’t appear to be he’s panning out. Once more, it’s too early to inform territory from the 2018 draft. Goalies are voodoo and goalie projections are nearly inconceivable to foretell. Simply take a look at Al Montoya.
5. Onto the long run, Chris Morehouse will run the Rangers draft with Chris Drury, which is an fascinating scouting route. Morehouse came visiting from the Columbus Blue Jackets to be the Director of North American Scouting for the Rangers. When he was with Columbus, Morehouse hit on Zach Werenski, Pierre Luc-Dubois, He had an honest hit price with Columbus.
Morehouse had his arms within the 2020 draft for the Rangers, which was thought-about one other sturdy draft. The North American gamers chosen have been Braden Schneider (1st), Will Cuylle (2nd), Dylan Garand (4th), Evan Vierling (fifth), Brett Berard (fifth), and Matthew Rempe (sixth).
Rempe is your prototypical big child as a dart throw. The remainder appear to be stable picks for his or her draft spot. Vierling and Berard have been nice worth within the fifth spherical as nicely. There have been considerations that Cuylle can be one other Ryan Gropp, however Cuylle is a lot better. It’s not a good comparability.
6. That was numerous phrases to say I wouldn’t fear an excessive amount of about Morehouse’s route with the draft. He is aware of talent. He appears to be fairly good at his job.
There have been some considerations when Morehouse –and Marshall Davidson as a scout– have been employed in 2019 due to nepotism. Morehouse is JD’s son in legislation. Each are nonetheless with the Rangers after JD was unceremoniously kicked to the curb final month.
None of that was Drury’s fault, in fact. That was a product of James Dolan that Drury merely benefitted from. I believe it’s secure to imagine that Morehouse specifically had a dialog with each JD and Drury after what occurred and what the scouting route was for the Rangers.
7. The Rangers have a plan, and dismissing JD and Jeff Gorton doesn’t change their plan. Chris Drury has a reliable AGM, and has been swift and decisive since taking the GM function. Dumping Bobrov doubtless doesn’t change that both, even when it looks as if a scouting route change for the Rangers. Bobrov did have a great monitor file, however it does appear clear that Drury needs to make his mark with the Rangers. With the teaching employees gone, the scouting division was the following logical step.
Speaking draft is an ideal segue to the draft lottery, which is tonight. The Rangers have a 1% probability of lightning putting thrice.