The match between the British & Irish Lions and the Bulls may very well be rescheduled following a lot of constructive Covid-19 circumstances within the Bulls camp, writes CRAIG LEWIS.
ALSO READ: Boks pressured to delay crew announcement
On Tuesday, Pretoria-based journalist Brenden Nel on SuperSport.com broke the information that a number of Bulls gamers and a member of the crew’s administration returned constructive assessments on Monday night simply because the crew was about to enter its bio-secure bubble for Saturday’s match at Loftus Versfeld.
The match in opposition to the Bulls was set to be the B&I Lions’ third-last recreation earlier than the primary Take a look at in opposition to the Springboks in Cape City on 24 July.
The Lions face the Sharks in Durban on Wednesday and, following the Bulls match, will face SA A and the Stormers in Cape City.
An actual concern with the outbreak within the Bulls camp is the long-term ramifications of taking part in in opposition to the touring Lions at a time when the chance persists that there may very well be extra gamers contaminated.
This comes quickly after the Springboks needed to droop coaching and go into isolation on Monday after lock Lood de Jager examined constructive for Covid-19.
It’s believed that there are constructive circumstances within the Georgia camp as properly, and Friday’s second Take a look at is now very a lot doubtful.
This web site has independently verified that the chance at present being explored is that the Bulls-Lions match can be rescheduled, with a closing determination from SA Rugby more likely to be made on Tuesday night time.
If a call is taken to maneuver the match to a different date, will probably be attention-grabbing to see the place they may be capable of match it into the schedule.
The Lions are mentioned to have been a lot of contingency choices within the occasion that their recreation in opposition to the Bulls was referred to as off.
“We haven’t had something confirmed,” assistant coach Steve Tandy said earlier on Tuesday. “We’ll journey right down to Cape City over the weekend so we’d most likely give an additional day without work, probably perhaps prepare a bit of bit more durable on the Friday, however once more that will be one thing that we’d agency up after we get affirmation round what is going to occur.
“There has nothing been confirmed. It hasn’t affected the temper within the camp. The boys skilled properly this morning [Tuesday] and it’s nearly gearing up for tomorrow night time [against the Sharks]. The main target is on us getting higher and enhancing and constructing on the final couple of performances. There are a few extra folks making their debuts for the Lions, so it’s thrilling occasions.”
At current, the Lions are on account of transfer from Johannesburg to Cape City on Sunday earlier than returning to the Highveld for the ultimate two Take a look at matches on 31 July and seven August.
Nonetheless, there may very well be an excellent probability now that the vacationers will merely stay in Cape City for the rest of the tour.
The deliberate 2021 Lions collection appears like this:
- Saturday 3 July: Emirates Lions v The British & Irish Lions (Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg) KO 18h00 (SAT) / 17h00 (BST)
- Wednesday 7 July: Cell C Sharks v The British & Irish Lions (Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg) KO 20h00 (SAT) / 19h00 (BST)
- Saturday 10 July: Vodacom Bulls v The British & Irish Lions (Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria) KO 18h00 (SAT) / 17h00 (BST)
- Wednesday 14 July: South Africa ‘A’ v The British & Irish Lions (Cape City Stadium, Cape City) KO 20h00 (SAT) / 19h00 (BST)
- Saturday 17 July: DHL Stormers v The British & Irish Lions (Cape City Stadium, Cape City) KO 18h00 (SAT) / 17h00 (BST)
- Saturday 24 July: Springboks v The British & Irish Lions (1st Take a look at, Cape City Stadium, Cape City) KO 18h00 (SAT) / 17h00 (BST)
- Saturday 31 July: Springboks v The British & Irish Lions (2nd Take a look at, FNB Stadium, Johannesburg) KO 18h00 (SAT) / 17h00 (BST)
- Saturday 7 Aug: Springboks v The British & Irish Lions (3rd Take a look at, FNB Stadium, Johannesburg) KO 18h00 (SAT) / 17h00 (BST)