Rivals Nationwide Columnist Mike Farrell is right here along with his rating the Energy 5 convention division, a take a look at main rivalries in every Energy 5 convention and one other model of his Mount Rushmore sequence.
How do the separate convention divisions within the Energy 5 stack up in opposition to one another heading into the 2021 season? I can inform you this: the SEC East isn’t near being the worst. The Huge 12, with no divisions, has a bonus however they aren’t the most effective.
1. SEC West — Alabama leads the way in which after all adopted by Texas A&M, LSU and Ole Miss — all of whom might compete for the playoff if Nick Saban stumbles. The worst crew? It’s a toss up between Mississippi State and Arkansas and each are robust outs.
2. Huge 12 — Kansas is horrible so let’s begin with that however, past the Jayhawks, it is a very strong convention total. Oklahoma and Iowa State prepared the ground with many, many excellent packages in the midst of the pack. Baylor and Texas Tech are iffy however Kansas State ought to be a lot improved and groups like Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU and West Virginia all have wonderful potential.
3. Huge Ten East — Regardless of dangerous seasons by Michigan and Penn State final 12 months that is nonetheless a robust division. Ohio State, after all, leads the way in which and Indiana is probably going subsequent after which the group of Michigan, Penn State, Maryland, Michigan State and, sure, even Rutgers ought to be a lot improved.
4. SEC East — Fourth appears excessive, proper? Florida is regrouping and it is not like Tennessee or Vanderbilt have been gangbusters just lately. South Carolina shall be higher than anticipated, simply watch, and Missouri and Kentucky may very well be eight-win groups with their potential. Oh, and Georgia must be the favourite to win all of it.
5. ACC Atlantic — Clemson leads the way in which however don’t sleep on Boston School and NC State as each are excellent groups. Florida State is a query mark and there are some dangerous groups in right here however Clemson retains the division in the midst of the pack.
6. Huge Ten West — This was shut with the ACC Atlantic as I like Wisconsin and Iowa however there are too many groups right here with one thing to show to be any greater. I’m speaking about you Minnesota, Purdue and Northwestern.
7. Pac-12 North — Stanford ought to be strong and Oregon and Washington shall be good but it surely will get ugly after that.
8. ACC Coastal — North Carolina is doubtlessly good as is Miami whereas Virginia, Virginia Tech and Pitt can all be regular. However I don’t see a playoff menace in any respect.
9. Pac-12 South — USC has been underachieving and may very well be the one Pac-12 South crew ranked within the AP Prime 25 when all is claimed and performed. There are groups that should show it to me like Colorado, Arizona State and Utah.
Let’s play one thing I name Decide Your Program and we’ll begin off with essentially the most related rivalries within the Energy 5 after which work our approach down from there in future editions.
SEC: Alabama (929-331-43) vs. Auburn (782-450-47)
Head-to-head: Alabama leads 47-37-1
It is a fairly simple one to choose – Alabama has extra nationwide titles (18), bowl sport appearances (73) and weeks at No. 1 within the polls (130) than every other program within the nation. The Tigers are not any slouch, but it surely’s exhausting for anybody to carry a candle to what the Crimson Tide have performed, particularly over the previous twenty years.
Huge Ten: Michigan (946-350-36) vs. Ohio State (931-327-53)
Head-to-head: Michigan leads 58-51-6
It would shock some folks that the Wolverines maintain the all-time lead on this matchup, particularly given the dominance that the Buckeyes have had because the flip of the century, however Michigan nonetheless has extra wins than every other program in school soccer. Michigan additionally holds the sting in nationwide titles (11-8) and Huge Ten titles (42-39), regardless of Ohio State’s success in recent times. The Buckeyes have spent extra weeks ranked, have essentially the most Heisman winners of any college, and first-round picks, so it is a actually shut one.
Verdict: Michigan. Ohio State has the latest success, however Michigan has the successful hand within the greatest classes.
Huge 12: Oklahoma (909-329-53) vs. Texas (923-378-33)
Head-to-head: Texas leads 62-49-5
One other shock chief, contemplating simply how persistently good Oklahoma has been not simply over the previous 20 years, however the previous 75 years. Since World Struggle II, the Sooners have extra wins than every other program in main school soccer, and the very best successful proportion. Regardless of being behind in head-to-head wins, Oklahoma dominates each different class in opposition to its nemesis within the Purple River Rivalry, taking dwelling extra nationwide titles (7-4), convention titles (50-30), Heisman winners (7-2), weeks ranked at No. 1 (101-45), and lots of extra.
ACC: Clemson (768-462-45) vs. Florida State (560-276-18)
Head-to-head: FSU leads 20-13
A comparatively new rivalry, each of those groups have been on the high of the game at totally different factors previously 30 years. The ‘Noles beat the Tigers in 11straight video games from 1992-2002, however Clemson has taken the previous 5 matchups. Each packages personal three nationwide titles, and have the identical variety of bowl appearances (47), so we’re just about splitting hairs right here. However FSU has spent extra weeks at No. 1 by a large margin (72-25) and has extra Heisman winners (3-0).
Verdict: Florida State (by a nostril)
Pac-12: USC (855-350-54) vs. UCLA (600-433-37)
Head-to-head: USC leads 49-32-7
It’s exhausting to compete with the Trojans within the Pac-12 – they’ve bought extra wins, convention titles, nationwide titles and Heisman winners than anybody else within the convention, and so they’re about as blueblood because it is available in school soccer. Whereas the cross-town Bruins have had some good runs (they gained eight-straight in opposition to the Trojans within the Nineteen Nineties), let’s face it, no one is healthier than USC on the West Coast.
I proceed my Mount Rushmore sequence with Michigan soccer and title this system’s greatest 4 gamers since 1980. This one wasn’t simple and, no, Tom Brady doesn’t come shut.
CB Charles Woodson — The one defensive participant to ever win the Heisman, Woodson was a weapon on either side of the ball for the Wolverines. Even earlier than his legendary 1997 season (extra on that in a minute), he had already cemented himself as one of many all-time greats at Michigan, taking dwelling Huge Ten Freshman of the Yr honors in 1995, first-team All-Convention accolades as each a freshman and sophomore and incomes a first-team All-American nod as a sophomore as effectively. However his junior marketing campaign was one for the ages – Heisman trophy, Bronco Nagurski and Jim Thorpe awards, and a nationwide title.
WR Desmond Howard — The person with essentially the most notorious Heisman pose of all-time, Howard was completely electrical on the sphere. Howard’s 1991 season was one for the document books, the place he not solely took dwelling the Heisman, but additionally the Walter Camp and the Maxwell, incomes unanimous All-American standing alongside the way in which. That season, he scored 23 whole touchdowns in 4 totally different classes (receiving, dashing, kick return, and punt return), main the Wolverines to an undefeated document in Huge Ten play.
OL Steve Hutchinson — A four-year starter at guard for Lloyd Carr‘s groups, Hutchinson anchored the 1997 nationwide championship line as a redshirt freshman, and by no means appeared again. One of many all-time greats on the place, Hutchinson was a two-time unanimous All-American as a junior and senior, in addition to the Huge Ten’s lineman of the 12 months in each seasons. In reality, in his ultimate two campaigns in Ann Arbor, Hutchinson didn’t give up a sack. A real legend.
WR Anthony Carter — A extremely productive receiver within the age the place operating backs dominated the day, Carter was a three-time All-American (twice unanimous), and big-play menace on each down. He graduated from Michigan with college data in receptions, receiving touchdowns, receiving yards, whole touchdowns and held the NCAA document for yards per play with 17.1. A 3-time top-10 Heisman vote getter, he was far forward of his time on the receiver place, and paved the way in which for all the nice receivers after him.