From now till the 2021 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as doable and look at each their strengths and weaknesses. Most of those profiles will function people that the Pittsburgh Steelers are prone to have an curiosity in, whereas a couple of others can be top-ranked gamers. If there’s a participant you prefer to us to research, tell us within the feedback beneath.
#24/27 Ar’Darius Washington/S TCU – 5’8 178
– Bodily, downhill, and aggressive nature makes him play greater than he’s listed
– Fills run with authority, throws weight round and pound-for-pound, hitter
– Dependable open subject tackler with robust higher physique
– Does effectively in breaking down and coming to stability as a tackler
– Takes good angles to the soccer in run and move
– Reveals plus arms, capacity to trace and pluck ball away from his physique
– Closes effectively in move recreation and disruptive at catch level
– Versatile, moved across the protection
– Younger participant, nonetheless rising
– Undersized and could be one of many smallest safeties within the league
– Common to beneath common athlete, lacks foot pace in open subject, can wrestle even when he has the angle
– Reveals stiffness when requested to vary path, tight-hipped participant
– Could lack true residence/match at NFL stage
– Weak to biting on playfakes and offensive window dressing, caught out of place and beat deep too usually
– Didn’t make many performs in backfield regardless of run-stopping capacity
– Two-year starter for Horned Frogs
– Profession: 86 tackles (1.5 TFL) 6 PDs, 5 INTs
– All 5 INTs got here in 2019
– 21 years previous, declared as redshirt sophomore (performed in 4 video games redshirt yr)
– Three-star recruit out of HS
Ar’Darius Washington is a uncommon breed, a 5’8, 180 pound security, however the dude can pack a punch. Which makes him price watching. His calling card is hit energy and general physicality. Greatest when coming downhill, he packs a whale of a punch. Tons of examples of that to indicate, you see it in nearly each recreation of his you watch, however my favourite got here on the aim line towards Texas this yr. Longhorns run mesh and Washington has to rally to shut the crosser. He does and smacks the receiver on the aim line, one way or the other holding him out of the tip zone.
Washington has plus arms and is able to making performs on the soccer. 5 interceptions his redshirt freshman yr in 2019. It is a nice one vs West Virginia. Angle and the end downfield. Nice rep.
Washington lined up all over the place however labored greatest when coming downhill filling the run. He’s a dependable, impactful tackler, somebody in a position to ship a blow with out taking part in uncontrolled and lacking as usually as he hits. Is aware of when to pop somebody and when to come back to stability and wrap up. You see the latter of that right here.
However there may be the apparent adverse along with his recreation. Measurement. Don’t see too many groups drafting 180 pound safeties. For the reason that 2015 draft, there have solely been eight DBs (invited to the Mix) drafted who weighed below 180 kilos. And I feel all of them had been corners. Nook is a place the place you will get away with somebody smaller as a result of they’re not as necessary in your run suits. Security is completely different.
However Washington can play the run. The difficulty I’ve is that at greatest, he’s a mean athlete. He makes up for a few of that with good angles to the soccer however he has common to beneath open subject pace and might’t at all times monitor down runners in house.
Know he’s taking part in within the field right here and the run is initially away from him however he lacks the foot pace to catch up and will get handed by a teammate on the finish of this play.
And right here, Texas QB Sam Ehlinger is ready to scoot away from him on this scramble for a future. Not search for a DB. Not like that’s Kyler Murray working the soccer.
He’s additionally fairly tight-hipped. So attempting to play him within the slot goes to be a troublesome ask, too.
The mix of small and sluggish isn’t one which produces NFL success. I’m at all times a fan of the little man who performs with a chip on his shoulder and Washington undoubtedly does. However not all these guys are going to prove like Mike Hilton. Washington may turn into a strong particular teamer and tone-setter working down kicks and punts. Poor man’s Damontae Kazee.
Projection: Mid Day Three
Video games Watched: at Oklahoma State (2019), at Oklahoma (2019), vs West Virginia (2019), at Texas, vs Oklahoma