Leicester Metropolis are simply two victories away from profitable the FA Cup for the primary time after beating Manchester United 3-1 to arrange a Wembley semi-final in opposition to Southampton.
Regardless of lacking James Maddison, James Justin, Harvey Barnes and Ricardo Pereira by harm, Leicester remained a pressure to be reckoned with and took the lead within the quarter-final tie on the King Energy Stadium by Kelechi Iheanacho when the striker took benefit of a horrendous go from Fred.
United scored in opposition to the run of play by Mason Greenwood, however the Foxes remained the brighter workforce and regained the lead by a positive Youri Tielemans strike.
Leicester: Schmeichel (7), Fofana (7), Evans (7), Soyuncu (8), Ndidi (9), Albrighton (7), Tielemans (8), Castagne (7), Perez (7), Iheanacho (8), Vardy (7)
Subs: Praet (7), Choudhury (N/A)
Man Utd: Henderson (6), Lindelof (5), Maguire (6), Wan-Bissaka (6), Telles (5), Matic (5), Fred (4), Van de Beek (5), Pogba (6), Martial (5), Greenwood (7)
Subs: Fernandes (6), Shaw (7), McTominay (6), Cavani (6)
Man of the match: Wilfred Ndidi
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had determined to relaxation a handful of his United regulars however despatched on Bruno Fernandes, Luke Shaw, Edinson Cavani and Scott McTominay with 25 minutes left. Nevertheless, it didn’t spark the guests as Iheanacho wrapped up the sport with a back-post header with 10 minutes remaining, netting his seventh aim in his final 4 appearances.
Leicester’s win units up a primary FA Cup semi-final since 1982 for the membership, whereas United’s solely hope of silverware this season now comes within the type of the Europa League.
- There have been no surprises from Brendan Rodgers along with his workforce choice as Marc Albrighton changed the injured Ricardo Pereira.
- United made 5 adjustments from their win in AC Milan. Bruno Fernandes and Luke Shaw have been among the many gamers given a relaxation, whereas Marcus Rashford was lacking by harm. In got here Alex Telles, Nemanja Matic, Donny van de Beek, Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial.
How Leicester minimize by meek United…
United’s lacklustre play was summed up by Fred’s incapacity to discover a team-mate with most of his passes. He misplaced the ball which allowed Iheanacho and Ayoze Perez to interrupt and ended with Jamie Vardy testing Dean Henderson with a low drive.
Vardy wasted a positive opening quickly after when his shot was blocked by Harry Maguire with Iheanacho free however Leicester have been sharper than United everywhere in the pitch.
The opener got here on 24 minutes in embarrassing style from a United viewpoint.
United tried to go their approach out from the again and, when Maguire performed Fred into hassle, the midfielder offered Henderson woefully brief.
It allowed Iheanacho to nip in, around the goalkeeper and faucet into an empty internet for his twelfth aim in 18 FA Cup appearances.
The aim appeared to provide United a wake-up name and so they equalised seven minutes earlier than the break.
Paul Pogba discovered house on the left and his cross was dummied by Donny van de Beek for Greenwood to brush in from eight yards.
Perez got here near restoring Leicester’s lead forward of half-time just for his 18-yard effort to go vast.
An improved exhibiting from Solskjaer’s workforce was anticipated after the break though the boss resisted the urge to make any adjustments.
Maybe that was a call he regretted six minutes after the break, when Tielemans restored Leicester’s lead.
The midfielder swapped passes round Matic with Iheanacho to drive in the direction of aim and United’s defence parted to permit the Belgium worldwide to search out the underside nook from 18 yards in stylish style.
Vardy then ought to have ended the tie after 58 minutes.
Iheanacho was concerned as he discovered the striker who skipped previous a static Maguire however, with simply Henderson to beat, dragged vast of the close to submit.
Solskjaer then made the quadruple change nevertheless it did little to vary United’s fortunes.
Leicester carried an enormous risk on the break and Iheanacho sealed Leicester’s progress with 12 minutes left, heading residence Marc Albrighton’s free-kick.
Man of the match: Wilfred Ndidi
The Leicester midfield is all the things a Manchester United midfield must be, led masterfully by Ndidi. His partnership in there with Tielemans has the right steadiness of metal and high quality. They ran Fred and Matic ragged within the coronary heart of the pitch as Ndidi tackled all the things that moved.
A particular point out to Iheanacho, too. He has discovered the goalscoring contact of late and his partnership with Vardy continues to impress.
- Leicester Metropolis have reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup for the primary time since 1981-82 – that they had misplaced 5 consecutive FA Cup quarter-final matches earlier than in the present day.
- Manchester United have misplaced an away match in opposition to English opposition for the primary time in 30 matches, with the earlier such defeat coming in opposition to Liverpool in January 2020.
- This was Leicester’s first victory in 14 makes an attempt in opposition to Manchester United, since beating them 5-3 in a Premier League match in September 2014.
- Because the begin of final season, Mason Greenwood has scored 22 objectives in all competitions, probably the most by an adolescent for golf equipment within the high 5 European leagues on this time.
- Iheanacho has scored 16 objectives in 22 begins in English home cup competitions, together with 11 in 11 within the FA Cup.
Manchester United return from the worldwide break with a sport in opposition to Brighton at Outdated Trafford on Sunday April 4 (7.30 kick off), whereas Leicester host Manchester Metropolis, stay on Sky Sports activities on Saturday April 3 (5.30 kick off).