In the summertime of 2020, the SEC was amongst many world wide witnessing the unrest and demonstrations in numerous cities and communities after the deaths of African American women and men in Minneapolis, Louisville and Brunswick, Georgia. These occasions ignited a motion across the equitable remedy of all traditionally underrepresented people, and African People specifically.
At the moment, the SEC took steps to collect and perceive views from a spread of stakeholders, together with student-athletes, presidents and chancellors, administrators of athletics, senior lady directors, school athletics representatives, numerous sport head coaches, psychological well being professionals and the SEC employees – in the end establishing the SEC Council on Racial Fairness and Social Justice in response.
The listing under outlines actions and discussions thus far associated to racial fairness, social justice and variety and inclusion inside the Southeastern Convention.
- SECSports.com/equality. A web page was added to the SEC web site to function a standard, on-line location for Convention exercise associated to racial fairness, social justice and variety and inclusion. The web page contains public bulletins, movies and particulars on the SEC Council on Racial Fairness and Social Justice. (November 2020)
- School Soccer Playoff Basis Additional Yard for Lecturers. The SEC earmarked funds it historically receives from the School Soccer Playoff Basis Additional Yard for Lecturers program to low useful resource faculties in SEC communities. (September 2020)
- TOGETHER. It Simply Means Extra. On September 18, 2020, the SEC introduced student-athletes would put on pre-event warm-up shirts that show “TOGETHER. It Simply Means Extra.” on the primary day of competitors in all sports activities in the course of the 2020-2021 athletic yr. The TOGETHER theme was first launched by the SEC in 2017 when it celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the combination of SEC athletics in 1967.
As well as, together with the opening weekend of soccer athletics competitors, the SEC launched a collection of tv public service bulletins with the TOGETHER. It Simply Means Extra message. The preliminary announcement was 60 seconds lengthy and aired throughout each soccer sport performed on the September 26, 2020, opening day. Later, the SEC launched 4 30-second bulletins that featured all sponsored sports activities and universities.
- SEC Voter Schooling and Participation Program. On September 3, 2020, the SEC introduced its first ever voter and civic engagement effort. By the SEC Voter Schooling and Participation Program, all 14 member universities dedicated to assist non-partisan engagement of SEC pupil‐athletes, coaches and employees within the November 2020 common election and in future native, state and federal elections.
- SEC Scholar-Athlete Enhancement Grant. The SEC added racial fairness, social justice and variety and inclusion to the listing of permissible forms of applications funded by the Convention’s student-athlete enhancement grant facilitated by relevant campus models. (August 2020)
- SEC Council on Racial Fairness and Social Justice. On August 20, 2020, the SEC introduced the creation of its Council on Racial Fairness and Social Justice, a league-wide physique consisting of a various group of student-athletes, directors, coaches and SEC employees. The Council identifies assets, outlines methods and assists with implementation of efforts that, when taken collectively, promote racial fairness and social justice, whereas additionally fostering variety, serving to overcome racism and pursuing non-discrimination in intercollegiate athletics.
- Males’s Basketball Officiating Consortium. On June 17, 2020, the SEC introduced the addition of the Southwestern Athletic Convention (SWAC) to the Convention’s males’s basketball officiating consortium, together with appointing the SWAC coordinator of officers as assistant SEC coordinator.
The SEC works usually with SEC Community producers and administrators to craft interviews, specials and common collection that spotlight racial fairness, social justice and variety and inclusion. The listing under highlights such content material.