Francis Ngannou didn’t simply run over Stipe Miocic at UFC 260 the way in which he has everybody else… a minimum of not instantly. Miocic survived the primary onerous shot Ngannou landed on him — even ate just a few photographs on the bottom after Ngannou took him down — however he couldn’t survive the second flurry that got here within the second spherical. For good measure, Ngannou landed a observe up shot that sealed the start of Ngannou’s title reign.
Maybe most spectacular in Ngannou’s win was the flexibility to stuff Miocic’s lone takedown try. It was early when Ngannou was nonetheless contemporary, indicating he has picked up some wrestling. It’s going to seemingly be a distinct story ought to Ngannou transcend the primary spherical — his gasoline tank nonetheless hasn’t been confirmed since his first loss to Miocic — however he received’t have to fret about that if he can proceed to blow via anybody.
His first problem seems to be Jon Jones as the previous gentle heavyweight kingpin known as him out on Twitter. Ngannou seems able to take up the problem. If marketed proper, it might be the largest promoting PPV shortly for the UFC.
Whereas it was a foul evening for Miocic, his legacy shouldn’t be harm very a lot by the loss. He nonetheless has extra title defenses within the division than anybody else and it isn’t out of the query that he might get a rubber match with Ngannou. In fact, it wouldn’t essentially be a shock to see him retire. We will see….
- It might have been Tyron Woodley’s greatest efficiency since dropping the welterweight title, but it surely wasn’t sufficient. Vicente Luque finally landed a heavy shot in the midst of the cage that had Woodley stanky legged. To Woodley’s credit score, he hung in there so long as he might, throwing heavy leather-based again, however Luque locked in a d’arce choke and elicited a faucet. With the win, Luque seems able to problem the welterweight elite.
- The UFC hoped to have Sean O’Malley placed on a clinic and acquired their want. The lanky bantamweight picked aside a smaller Thomas Almeida with a wide range of kicks and jabs. The battle virtually ended within the opening spherical – O’Malley didn’t observe up on a knockdown – but it surely wasn’t till the third spherical when he put Almeida away. O’Malley seems to be again on monitor to stardom.
- Inevitably, when two good grapplers collide, a hanging contest ensues. Nicely… Miranda Maverick and Gillian Robertson traded punches early, however finally engaged in a number of enjoyable grappling exchanges the place every had their moments. Nonetheless, Maverick’s arise within the opening spherical allowed her to take the choice after they cut up the final two rounds.
- If there was going to be a KO between Khama Worthy and Jamie Mullarkey, everybody was predicting it could have been Mullarkey on the receiving finish. As an alternative, he was delivering the KO blow with a single punch, ending him off with just a few extra punches in beneath a minute. It provides the Aussie his first UFC win whereas persevering with Worthy’s skid.
- Initially, it appeared Alonzo Menifield fell proper right into a lure, practically getting submitted by choke artist Fabio Cherant. With some changes, Menifield turned the potential choke right into a Von Flue choke for the win. The three people who picked Menifield to win by submission are swimming within the cash….
- Jared Gooden seemed to be so preoccupied with the takedowns of Abubakar Nurmagomedov that he forgot to let his fists fly. Khabib’s cousin took benefit of that, piecing up Gooden on the toes whereas mixing within the occasional takedown for a formidable all-around efficiency, securing his first UFC win.
- One of many higher scraps on the night, Michel Oleksiejczuk stayed within the face of Modestas Bukauskas, convincing the judges his strain was more practical than Bukauskas’ quantity. The competition might have gone both course with the second being a tossup, however Oleksiejczuk staved off the reducing room flooring with the win.
- What was anticipated to be a firefight between Omar Morales and Shane Younger turned out to be a tit-for-tat point-fest. Morales made higher use of his size to choose away with jabs and low kicks to take a transparent determination, although the dearth of motion was actually disappointing.
- All of us knew the competition between Abu Azaitar and Marc-Andre Barriualt was going to be sloppy as hell and the 2 sluggers lived as much as expectations. Azaitar jumped out in entrance by being the extra aggressive fighter, however the excessive exercise compromised his stamina and Barriault turned the tide by the second spherical. The ultimate spherical was tutorial as Barriault maintained prime management, touchdown punches till the ref lastly known as it.