Late yesterday, the Rangers traded winger Brendan Lemieux to the LA Kings for a 4th spherical decide. It’s a comparatively minor deal within the grand scheme of issues, because it’s a fourth liner for a mid spherical draft decide. Lemieux had been taking part in comparatively poorly of late, which was humorous given the timing of me calling him an elite fourth liner. Guess he took offense to that? Anyway, I’ve some ideas on the Brendan Lemieux commerce.
1. As for Lemieux the participant, he fell off a cliff the final month and a half when it comes to efficiency. The stats, as of February 11, confirmed he was taking part in very properly in his function, and his penalty differential was going to assist preserve him as a worthwhile fourth liner. Sadly, he began taking silly penalties, making dangerous performs with the puck, and was simply general dangerous. It occurs. However at $1.55 million this 12 months and subsequent, you possibly can’t do this.
2. That segues into the cap hit. It is a massive win for the Rangers. They shed cap house instantly for Vitali Kravtsov to play both as we speak or Tuesday. It additionally clears the cap house for a Morgan Barron name up. Barron was beginning to power the Rangers’ hand within the AHL, as he’s been dominant as each a winger and a middle, the place he performed the final two video games. This additionally frees up cap house for a commerce this 12 months, if wanted.
3. I’m intrigued to see how the lineup shakes out as we speak. Phil Di Giuseppe was simply cleared off COVID protocol, so my guess is he slides in as we speak whereas Kravtsov joins the group Tuesday. Nevertheless it wouldn’t shock me to see a “shock” insertion of Kravtsov into the lineup as we speak. Not the perfect situation for a rookie, the second of a again to again, whereas away, towards a prime group within the division. However crazier issues have occurred.
4. This additionally has enlargement draft implications. I consider this implies the Rangers should expose each Kevin Rooney and Colin Blackwell to fulfill enlargement draft necessities. I do know we have been joking about defending them over Ryan Strome and Julien Gauthier, however that was all the time far fetched. Each Strome and Gauthier have proven they need to be protected, and also you all the time expose the fourth liners over the talent guys. That’s simply frequent sense.
5. The Rangers aren’t going to overlook Lemieux’s “toughness” on the ice. Fights are few and much between these days, in order that’s not an element. Should you’re taking toughness when it comes to grinding and hits, then Ryan Lindgren, Brendan Smith, and Chris Kreider are nonetheless right here. To me, toughness is prepared to get into the corners and take successful to make a play. Most, if not all, the Rangers do this.
6. When it comes to shedding wage, clearing roster house, and never dropping something of great worth, the Rangers hit a homerun right here. I do know my ideas on the Brendan Lemieux commerce have been that it is a minor commerce, but it surely does have some fairly vital off-ice worth.
7. One very last thing – I do know folks have been joking about another off-ice components involving Tony DeAngelo. I don’t assume that had any function to play right here. This was strictly about an costly fourth line winger who was taking part in poorly and rapidly dropping on-ice worth for the Rangers. That’s it.