The Philadelphia Eagles now personal the No. 12 general decide within the 2021 NFL Draft after Friday’s commerce motion. With 31 days till the primary spherical begins, let’s check out who mock drafts have the Birds taking.
Philadelphia considers a quarterback with this decide. Finally they determine so as to add extra weapons to additional the event of Jalen Hurts. They choose Hurts’ former teammate, Jaylen Waddle. Waddle brings the kind of dynamic risk Philadelphia has not seen since DeSean Jackson was wholesome.
Like Miami, Philadelphia may wind up getting a participant it might need focused all alongside at No. 6 – its authentic draft slot – whereas accelerating the crew’s reboot and nonetheless bettering the supporting forged for second-year QB Jalen Hurts, now the unquestioned starter for 2021. Waddle performed with Hurts in Tuscaloosa, is a extremely explosive risk and provides a game-breaking ingredient to the return sport.
Philadelphia strikes again after buying and selling with the Dolphins and nonetheless will get one of many prime broad receivers within the draft.
Waddle already has a rapport with quarterback Jalen Hurts and was as soon as thought of one of the best broad receiver on an Alabama crew deep at broad receiver. Waddle can line up outdoors or within the slot and use his pace on fast screens. Waddle additionally provides them a possible kick returner for a crew ranked twentieth within the league final season in kick return common (20.9 yards per return).
Waddle might need been the highest receiver taken on this yr’s draft if he didn’t endure a damaged ankle in the beginning of the season. He might need been the highest receiver taken within the 2020 NFL Draft if he was within the draft. So whereas there may be some danger in taking him off of a season ruined with harm, there may be additionally an argument to be made that the crew is getting nice worth with him at No. 12 general. At his greatest, Waddle is a receiver that may stretch the sector like Henry Ruggs but in addition polished like Jerry Jeudy. He doesn’t have nice measurement at 5-foot-10, 182 kilos, however many felt he was one of the best receiver on a crew with Jeudy, Ruggs and DeVonta Smith, so it’s laborious to get too labored up about his lack of measurement. The Eagles may go protection right here, with Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons an possibility, or offensive sort out if Rashawn Slater falls to them. Waddle, nonetheless, looks like the right combination of worth, want and upside at No. 12 — plus it’d take away the sting of passing on Chase at No. 6.
Buying and selling again and nonetheless getting Jaylen Waddle? The Eagles might need to pinch themselves on this situation as a result of there might not be a greater situation for the inexperienced and white. Waddle adjustments the sport on so many ranges. He has the flexibility to shift how defenses play coverages along with his game-breaking pace. That can assist Jalen Reagor on the opposite aspect that rather more as a risk, too. Jalen Hurts will get some much-needed weapons on account of this situation.
The Eagles may decide one of many Alabama receivers right here however Horn’s excellent professional day and sport tape could drive their hand. Philly wants his measurement, pace and tenacious perspective on the skin in a foul manner.
Horn’s mixture of athleticism and physicality is uncommon for the cornerback place. He allowed simply eight catches on 24 targets for 116 yards within the seven video games he performed in 2020.
The overload of offensive expertise within the prime 10 pushes down one of many premier cornerbacks within the class. Horn can are available in and begin reverse Darius Slay, after which ultimately substitute him sooner or later. Horn, listed at 6-foot-1 and 205 lbs., is a protracted nook who can be match for Jonathan Gannon’s zone-heavy protection.
Even after shifting from No. 6 to No. 12, the Eagles are nonetheless able to take a participant who initiatives as a Day 1 starter. Horn matches that profile. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound son of former NFL receiver Joe Horn, Jaycee Horn is without doubt one of the prime three cornerbacks on this class with the potential to develop into a No. 1 cornerback. He may begin reverse Darius Slay this season on the skin and can be the primary cornerback drafted within the first spherical by the Eagles since Lito Sheppard in 2002.
Can’t assist however really feel the NFL is sleeping on DeVonta Smith at this level. The Heisman winner is being closely scrutinized for his wiry body and the Eagles may very well be beneficiaries of this. Getting the most effective receivers within the class after buying and selling down can be an enormous win.
Buying and selling again opens up the choices for the Eagles. Cross rusher? Cornerback? Extensive receiver? Smith falls of their laps right here. The Dolphins reunited Tua and Waddle, the Eagles may do the identical with Jalen Hurts and Smith.
Buying and selling out of the sixth decide would possibly restrict the Eagles’ choices for locating presumptive beginning quarterback Jalen Hurts a real No. 1 general broad receiver however normal supervisor Howie Roseman’s gamble pays off with the defending Heisman Trophy winner, Smith, nonetheless on the board. An elite route-runner with sticky arms and graduate-level understanding of defenses, Smith can be an excellent complement to final yr’s speedy prime decide, Jalen Reagor.
The Philadelphia Eagles now sit within the twelfth spot because of right now’s commerce with the Miami Dolphins. Howie Roseman may go in numerous completely different instructions with this choice, and if they’re actually going to construct round Jalen Hurts offensive weapons akin to Ja’Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts may very well be in play. And but they handle the protection as an alternative. It is a very attention-grabbing cornerback class and plenty of may have Caleb Farley graded out as their prime possibility on the place. His harm historical past — together with his upcoming again surgical procedure — would possibly scare some groups away. The Eagles go along with Patrick Surtain II right here, an NFL-ready cornerback with each man protection chops and nice consciousness in zone protection.
Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama — DraftTek (Broz)
GM Howie Roseman engineers a commerce with Miami on Friday, giving the Eagles the #12 and an RD1 decide in 2022. They’ve obtained good choices right here. Our mocks have slotted Philly with DeVonta Smith at #6 very often, Smith continues to be accessible at #12, however we’re going with Patrick Surtain after his wonderful Professional-Day.
The Eagles are sure to maneuver on from Zach Ertz sooner or later within the offseason and offensive-minded coach Nick Sirianni may use one other playmaker for Jalen Hurts as complement to Dallas Goedert. Pitts is a blinding pass-catcher and his athleticism may very well be utilized in a pleasant hybrid position, including some big-play capability to 2020 first-rounder Jalen Reagor for Hurts. Philadelphia will hope it may well make this seamless pivot from wideout at No. 6 to a unique model of dynamic receiver right here.
The Eagles seem like shifting ahead with Jalen Hurts and if that’s the plan they need to encompass him with playmakers. There’s none higher than Kyle Pitts, who solely falls this far due to the run on QBs, WRs and O-linemen.
WR Jaylen Waddle – 6
CB Jaycee Horn – 4
WR DeVonta Smith – 3
CB Patrick Surtain – 2
TE Kyle Pitts – 2
WR – 9
CB – 6
TE – 2
Offense – 11
Protection – 6
- The speak about reuniting Jalen Hurts and Waddle is a bit humorous as a result of their enjoying time collectively in 2018 was restricted. Hurts solely tried 70 passes that yr as Tua Tagovailoa’s backup. Solely certainly one of Waddle’s 17 school receiving touchdowns got here from Hurts. To be clear, this isn’t to say the 2 wouldn’t be pairing! Quite the opposite, Hurts confirmed a penchant to push the ball down the sector final season. His 9.5 common supposed air yards ranked second-most within the NFL, solely behind … Joe Flacco at 10.9 (per NFL Subsequent Gen Stats)!
- There are issues to be involved about with Waddle’s profile. He was injured final yr (ankle), he hasn’t produced in nice quantity (666.33 yards per season), and he turns 23 in November (not younger for a rookie). However in the event you consider in his pace and traits and such, you simply would possibly love him. Some view him because the No. 1 WR on this yr’s draft.
- Horn is a brand new identify for the Eagles. Nicely, BGN’s Ben Natan truly had the Eagles taking him at No. 6 previous to final week’s commerce announcement. The 6’1”, 205-pound had a formidable professional day wherein the Eagles had been in attendance to work him out and communicate with him. Kyle Posey of Niners Nation not too long ago wrote about how Horn is CB1 on this yr’s draft. Cornerback is an apparent short-term AND long-term want for Philly with [tumbleweed blows by] beginning on the skin throughout from Darius Slay.
- Smith was beforehand linked to the Eagles at No. 6 however there was a sense he could be a attain there. He’s sure to be a way more common possibility at No. 12, assuming the Heisman Trophy winner makes it there. No assure. Smith may very well be a participant that the analytically-inclined Eagles don’t need to wager on however the feeling right here is the tape is simply too good to disregard.
- Surtain beforehand obtained some buzz at No. 6 however that fell off. Now the Alabama product is doubtlessly again within the combine.
- I don’t suppose Pitts can be on the board by the point the Eagles decide at No. 12. There’s been buzz he may go as excessive as No. 4 general.
- No Micah Parsons within the roundup simply but, although I’m certain that’s sure to alter main up the draft.
- Who do you most need the Eagles to take at No. 12?