UPDATE: Okay, I lied. Benjamin Solak and I recorded an emergency #JerseyNumberAnalytics podcast for BGN Radio!
ORIGINAL STORY BELOW.
In what is perhaps essentially the most thrilling information of the Philadelphia Eagles’ 2021 offseason (I’m critical), the crew formally introduced some new jersey numbers on Friday afternoon! Right here’s an outline with some crucial ideas to observe.
WR Khalil Tate – 6
QB Joe Flacco – 7
P Arryn Siposs – 8
S Andrew Adams – 21
S Anthony Harris – 28
CB Shakial Taylor – 36
TE Tyree Jackson – 80
QB Jalen Hurts – 1 (beforehand 2)
WR Quez Watkins – 16 (beforehand 80)
CB Craig James – 31 (beforehand 39)
DT Javon Hargrave – 97 (beforehand 93)
VERY IMPORTANT THOUGHTS
- Earlier than we get began, observe that extra modifications is perhaps on the best way down the highway if the Kansas Metropolis Chiefs’ proposal to loosen jersey quantity restrictions passes.
- The large information right here, clearly, is Hurts altering from No. 2 to No. 1. I’ve seen some lamenting this variation since they already personal his No. 2. My take is that simply makes you look cooler if he succeeds. You have been in on the bottom ground! Significantly, although, I just like the change for Hurts. Didn’t love No. 2. No. 1 is way cooler for him, particularly after he wore it throughout his most profitable faculty season at Oklahoma. No. 1 for Hurts is a Large Winner Vitality transfer. No. 1 for QB1.
- Former No. 1s in Eagles historical past: Cameron Johnston, Cody Parkey, Mat McBriar, Gary Anderson, Tony Franklin, Nick Mike-Mayer, Completely happy Feller. All specialists! Hurts is the primary Eagles QB to put on No. 1 (excluding coaching camp our bodies).
- Most likely good for Hurts to get out of this group:
- Courting again to highschool, Flacco has all the time been No. 5. He knew that quantity wouldn’t be accessible to him in Philly. The shine that Michael Vick placed on No. 7 has since worn off with Sam Bradford and Nate Sudfeld sporting it. Flacco getting Sudfeld’s quantity is probably going further affirmation the latter gained’t be again.
- Siposs getting No. 8 is improbable for him seeing that it’s Donnie Jones’ older quantity. Nice enhance to his possibilities of profitable a possible Eagles punter battle.
- I like Quez Watkins altering from No. 80 to No. 16. That’s an improve and Watkins wore No. 16 in faculty. That being mentioned, the historical past of Eagles gamers sporting No. 16 isn’t nice. There’s just one in franchise historical past who wore it for greater than three seasons: four-time Professional Bowl quarterback Norm Snead. Most up-to-date gamers to put on No. 16 embody Deontay Burnett, Mack Hollins, DeAndre Carter, Bryce Treggs, Seyi Ajirotutu, Brad Smith, Chad Corridor.
- No. 21 is an efficient get for Adams, who isn’t essentially a lock to make the roster. Jalen Mills’ outdated quantity.
- No. 28 is robust for Harris after beforehand sporting No. 41. Will Parks didn’t have success in No. 28 final 12 months however Harris shouldn’t wrestle to get taking part in time the best way he did.
- I don’t love No. 80 for Jackson, who’s switching from quarterback to tight finish. The quantity simply doesn’t look nice within the Eagles’ jersey font.
- Conflicted on James altering to No. 31. It’s quantity for a participant who’s going to be a starter however he’s possible solely a backup and particular groups participant. No. 39 was quantity for his function. Bordering on overconfidence.
- Hargarve taking Malik Jackson’s No. 97 was name. Fairly good defensive deal with quantity.
- I’ve been getting a variety of requests for the annual #JerseyNumberAnalytics podcast that goes up on BGN Radio. We are able to’t document it till after the 2021 NFL Draft and the Eagles hand out all rookie numbers! Sorry to do that to you nevertheless it’ll be well worth the wait!