Because the winter sports activities stroll off into the sundown, we lastly flip our full consideration to the spring. Meaning the return of the DII baseball Energy 10 rankings spotlight this week’s DII Report. Earlier than we bounce into new rankings, be sure to take a peek at our ultimate DII basketball rankings of the season.
DII faculty basketball: Last males’s and girls’s rankings of 2021
After all, we’ll take our weekly take a look at some large numbers from the DII soccer subject, in addition to a peek on the DII girls’s lacrosse domination by the highest 5 to date in 2021. It is all proper right here on this week’s DII Report.
DII baseball Energy 10 rankings
Right here we go. Our first time trying on the prime 10 in DII baseball for the reason that preseason. Surprisingly, whereas there was some shuffling in precise rating, there are lots of of the identical faces now virtually two months into the season. Or maybe it isn’t all that stunning in any respect. The good gamers that received these groups into the preseason prime 10 are nonetheless the nice gamers now as they had been then, proper?
Bear in mind, these are my rankings and mine alone. I attempt to use a lot of the identical standards as the choice committee in rating my groups, however generally a red-hot crew is just a red-hot crew. My rankings will not at all times appear like others, however I am okay with that. Baseball is a unique sport: Wins and losses do not at all times decide how good a crew actually is.
Sufficient rambling. Let’s get to it.
DII baseball Energy 10 for the Week of April 4
(all video games by Saturday, April 3)
1. Colorado Mesa | Earlier: No. 1 — The Mavericks entered the season at No. 1 and keep there after an 18-2 begin. The offense, as at all times, is clicking, averaging essentially the most runs per recreation in DII. Matt Turner was surging and on a 12-game hitting streak earlier than being shut down on March 22, however Haydn McGeary (.525 common, 1.617 OPS, 9 house runs and 45 RBI) and Spencer Bramwell (.437 common, six house runs) are simply fantastic. It is the pitching that makes them harmful. Andrew Morris will get higher each day trip and freshman Kannon Useful is pitching to a 1.89 ERA with 32 strikeouts in 19 innings.
2. Angelo State | Earlier: 2 — The Rams took opening weekend from Texas-Tyler and have not misplaced a collection but in 2021. Energy hitting and energy pitching is the story with Angelo State. Josh Elvir is doing Participant-of-the-Yr issues per traditional, hitting .418 with 5 house runs and 19 RBIs. As anticipated, Trent Baker has been the Rams’ ace (1.99 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, 48:6 Ok:BB ratioo in 40.2 innings), however Benjamin Elder has been sturdy as nicely, pitching to a 1.08 ERA and 1.05 WHIP.
3. Central Missouri | Earlier: 3 — I had the Mules at No. 5 heading into the weekend however swept then-No. 10 Missouri Southern. Maybe extra impressively, the Mules scored 39 runs in a Saturday double header towards a pitching employees that had a 3.95 ERA heading into the weekend. This crew is pounding house runs and scoring in bunches. Final weekend, Erik Webb grew to become the MIAA profession house run king. On Saturday, the Mules slugged 9 house runs in Sport 1 of the slugfest double header — Dusty Stroup smashed three to cleared the path — tying the MIAA single-game mark. Stroup adopted that up with three extra house runs in Sport 2 for a six-home run day.
4. Tampa | Earlier: 5 — The Spartans are 9-2 with large collection wins over Florida Tech after which Nova Southeastern this previous weekend. Tampa’s bats are nonetheless getting warmed up, however New York Tech switch EJ Cumbo is cooking, now on a nine-game hitting streak. On the bump, Eric Linder has been fairly spectacular, selecting up two wins and one save to date this season for a Tampa employees that entered the weekend No. 2 in DII in ERA.
5. Lee | Earlier: NR — I am on the Flames practice. Lee swept one other collection and have now received 13 in a row, sitting at 24-2 on the season. Let’s speak about Logan Workman. The numbers are insane: 4-0, 0.72 ERA, 0.82 WHIP and 64 strikeouts in 37.2 innings. Pitching is unquestionably the Flames energy, which makes them harmful and legit. Seth Konkel and Alex Harper-Cook dinner have been very spectacular as Workman’s fundamental wingmen within the rotation.
6. Mount Olive | Earlier: 10 — The Trojans do have six losses, however the bulk got here in an early March stretch. Mount Olive has since recovered and have received 9 in a row. The Trojans even have a powerful collection win over North Greenville which can play big into the match image at season’s finish. Hunter Stevens has been sharp as ever atop the rotation and Reed Parris make for a harmful 1-2 punch. However how about freshman Vito Patierno? He is main the crew in hitting at .447 and OPS 1.212, with 14 additional base hits in 94 at bats.
7. Lindenwood | Earlier: NR — The Lions had been considered one of my sleepers within the preseason 25, and to date have performed very nicely. Sure, they’re undefeated, sitting at 12-0, so the No. 7 rating might look like I’m undervaluing them. The Lions three collection wins have come towards groups with a dropping report, and I do take into account energy of schedule right here. Do not be mistaken. This crew is excellent, and ace Kyle Hentis is an MLB draft expertise. In three begins, Hentis has a 2-0 report with a 0.90 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and a 20:4 Ok:BB ratio in 20 innings pitched.
8. North Greenville | Earlier: 4 — The Crusaders are 21-6, and you can argue usually are not even enjoying as much as their billing. However this crew has some critical expertise that may excel on the subsequent degree for me to rule them out of the highest 10 simply but. Marek Chlup at present leads three Crusaders hitting over .400, whereas John Michael Faile is amid one other MVP-caliber marketing campaign, hitting .370 with a 1.169 OPS, 10 house runs and 42 RBI as one of many nation’s premier catchers at any degree.
9. Minnesota State | Earlier: 9 — The Mavericks and Augustana (SD) are two excellent groups within the NSIC. Minnesota State edges the Vikings out in our prime 10 due to a pitching employees that finds itself atop DII in ERA. Jon Ludwig and Cam Klein will make each weekend depressing for opposing lineups, combining for a 2.76 ERA, a WHIP below 1.00 whereas putting out 83 and strolling simply six. Joey Werner is off to a sizzling begin main the lineup, hitting .419 with six house runs.
10. Catawba | Earlier: No. 8 — This was splitting hairs, however the Indians edge out the remainder of the first 5 out primarily based on enjoying the hardest schedule of the six to date. Catawba is 19-6 towards a schedule with a mixed 55.8 profitable proportion. The Indians even have signature wins towards UNC Pembroke and North Georgia. Hunter Shepherd has gotten off to a sluggish begin on the mound, however has been sizzling within the lineup, hitting .418 with seven house runs and 36 RBIs.
First 5 out (in alphabetical order)
- Augustana (SD) — The Vikings have additionally performed a troublesome schedule, and pitcher Tanner Brown is on hearth with an ideal recreation below his belt.
- Azusa Pacific — Although the Cougars dropped one Saturday, they received the collection towards a very good Level Loma crew. A.J. Woodall, Nick Estrella and Cory Dawson are a rotation to maintain eyes on.
- Seton Hill — The Griffins are again within the dialog, off to a 12-0 begin behind considered one of DII’s greatest pitching staffs. In addition they have a collection win towards Ashland and a signature PSAC win towards Millersville.
- UNC Pembroke — Bucky Bonynge leads an intriguing employees, one which swept Georgia Faculty out of the rankings. The Braves are 22-5 and winners of 14 in a row.
- West Texas A&M — Keone Givens is likely one of the most enjoyable gamers to observe in DII. He is hitting .378 with 9 doubles, 4 triples, 4 house runs and 16 stolen bases.
Within the dialog (additionally alphabetical): Illinois Springfield, Missouri Southern, Southern New Hampshire, St. Thomas Aquinas, West Florida
DII soccer by the numbers
We love stats. Here is a fast look across the gridiron at a few of the better of the week.
43 — Whole yards speeding Lenoir-Rhyne held Wingate to of their 44-21 victory. The Bulldogs averaged -1.8 yards per stick with it the day. Bears’ freshman working again Dwayne McGee had one other spectacular day, speeding for 94 yards and a landing.
4 — Touchdowns thrown by Wheeling’s Jalen Lea. Whereas additionally throwing for 216 yards, Lea led the crew with 80 yards speeding.
11 — Receptions Tiffin receiver Anthony Lowe reeled in throughout the Dragons 28-7 victory over Hillsdale. He totaled 170 of quarterback Nick Watson’s 371 yards passing.
21-14 — Last rating that East Central defeated FCS foe Tarleton State this week. Working again Ontario Douglas led the best way with 105 yards speeding and two touchdowns.
35 — Unanswered second-half factors by Missouri S&T to defeat William Jewell 49-28. Aaron Moya and Payton McAlister mixed for 274 yards speeding and three touchdowns within the win.
53 — Factors scored by Newberry, essentially the most the Wolves have put up in 4 years. Dre Harris tossed three touchdowns within the win.
56 — Whole yards Indianapolis allowed in its 38-0 victory on Saturday. Quarterback Bryce Stancombe was spectacular throwing for 275 yards and three touchdowns.
104 — Whole factors Findlay has now defeated its opponents by after bettering to 3-0 on Saturday. The Oilers received 54-6 and are averaging 44.6 factors per recreation.
175 — Yards that Tabyus Taylor rushed for in Notre Dame (OH)’s victory on Saturday. He is now rushed for 177, 151 and 175 yards in his three video games this season.
519 — Yards thrown by Tusculum’s Rogan Wells. Wells, who threw for 417 yards final week, tossed 5 scores. TJ Jones (151 yards, two touchdowns) and Tory Ponder (14 yards, one landing) made essentially the most out of Wells’ large day.
High 5 in DII girls’s lacrosse keep excellent
The highest 5 groups in DII girls’s lacrosse proceed an undefeated run in 2021. No. 1 Lindenwood was off this week, so stay 5-0 on the season. No. 2 UIndy improved to 7-0 with a 25-1 thumping of Lewis. The Greyhounds have defeated 4 nationally ranked groups to date in 2021. No. 3 Le Moyne tallied a pair of wins to enhance to 5-0. The Dolphins Paige Crandall leads all DII keepers with a 4.29 targets towards common. No. 4 West Chester put up 21 targets not as soon as, however twice this previous week to enhance to 6-0. And final, however not least, No. 5 Florida Southern took down No. 8 Tampa on Wednesday for its third-straight win over a nationally ranked crew. The Mocs improved to 4-0 with a 20-goal outburst on Saturday.
Outdoors the top-5 Belmont Abbey continues to be a menace to opposing goalkeepers. The Crusaders posted a 26-0 shutout on Monday for his or her fifth-straight recreation scoring 21 or extra targets. They lead DII with a 20.50 targets per recreation common. It is a balanced attacke for Belmont Abbey as seven gamers have scored at the least 10 targets this season.