Las Vegas – For the primary time in three years, a brand new UFC light-weight champion might be topped as No. 3 ranked contender Charles Oliveira and No. 4 Michael Chandler vie for the vacant belt. Additionally, for the primary time in UFC historical past, a non-title co-main occasion might be 5 rounds as No. 3 ranked welterweight contender Leon Edwards faces off with Nate Diaz.
UFC 262: OLIVEIRA vs. CHANDLER will happen Saturday, Could 15 at Toyota Middle in Houston, Texas. All bouts might be streamed on ESPN+ in English and Spanish. The early prelims start at 6:15 p.m. ET/3:15 p.m. PT on ESPN+ and UFC Combat Move. The prelims might be distributed on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ starting at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT. The UFC 262 predominant card will stream completely on ESPN+ Pay-Per-View beginning at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.
UFC submission king Oliveira (30-8, 1 NC, preventing out of Sao Paulo, Brazil) intends to benefit from his first shot on the title by delivering one other file setting efficiency. Proprietor of essentially the most UFC Efficiency of the Night time awards, most submissions and most finishes, he established himself as an elite contender with outstanding victories over Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee and Jim Miller. He now appears to increase his spectacular win streak along with his finest displaying but within the largest combat of his life.
Chandler (22-5, preventing out of Deerfield Seaside, Fla.) rapidly gained the eye and hearts of followers along with his debut first-round end over prime contender Dan Hooker earlier this yr. Lengthy seen as one of many prime rivals outdoors of UFC, he secured wins over former champions Benson Henderson (twice) and Eddie Alvarez to earn his spot on the planet’s premier MMA group. Chandler now makes an attempt to perform his predominant objective of strapping UFC gold round his waist by taking out Oliveira in an announcement victory.
Perennial prime contender Edwards (18-3, 1 NC, preventing out of Birmingham, England) makes a fast return to the Octagon trying to restart his momentum after a no contest with Belal Muhammad earlier this month. The proprietor of the second-longest lively unbeaten streak within the stacked welterweight division, Edwards secured his spot within the prime 5 with victories over Albert Tumenov, Vicente Luque, Gunnar Nelson and former champion Rafael Dos Anjos. He now appears to ship his finest efficiency but within the largest alternative of his profession in opposition to Diaz.
Fan favourite Diaz (21-12, preventing out of Stockton, Calif.) is about to make his first look within the Octagon in nearly two years. A member of the UFC roster since successful the fifth season of The Final Fighter in 2007, Diaz rocketed to superstardom following his huge upset victory over Conor McGregor in 2016. He has additionally secured spectacular wins over Anthony Pettis, Grey Maynard and Donald Cerrone. Diaz now appears to remind followers that he’s nonetheless top-of-the-line on the planet and instantly inject himself into the welterweight title dialog.
Kevin Holland steps in to face Marvin Vettori in UFC on ABC 2 predominant occasion
Extra UFC 262 bouts on the cardboard embrace:
- Former UFC interim light-weight champion and No. 5 ranked contender Tony Ferguson (26-6, preventing out of Orange County, Calif.) takes on rising No. 9 Beneil Dariush (20-4-1, preventing out of Yorba Linda, Calif.)
- An thrilling featherweight bout sees No. 12 Shane Burgos (13-2, preventing out of Monroe, N.Y.) lock horns with No. 14 Edson Barboza (21-9, preventing out of Parkland, Fla. by the use of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- No. 7 ranked middleweight Jack Hermansson (21-6, preventing out of Oslo, Norway) appears to return to the winner’s circle when he meets No. 12 Edmen Shahbazyan (11-1, preventing out of Glendale, Calif.)
- Lando Vannata (11-5-2, preventing out of Albuquerque, N.M.) battles Mike Grundy (12-2, preventing out of Wigan, Higher Manchester, England) in a featherweight bout all however assured to ship compelling motion
- Dana White’s Contender Collection signee Rafael Alves (19-9, preventing out of Miami, Fla. by the use of Para, Brazil ) goals to impress in his UFC debut in opposition to the powerful Damir Ismagulov (19-2, preventing out of Udarnyi, Orenburgskaia, Russia)
- Middleweight star Jacare Souza (26-9, 1 NC, preventing out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) intends at hand Andre Muniz (20-4, preventing out of Montes Claros, State of Minas Gerais, Brazil) his first UFC loss
- No. 2 ranked girls’s flyweight Katlyn Chookagian (15-4, preventing out of Kenilworth, N.J.) plans to cease No. 7 Viviane Araujo (10-2, preventing out of Brasilia, Brazil) from breaking into the highest 5
- Prime 10 flyweights conflict as No. 4 Alex Perez (24-6, preventing out of Lemoore, Calif.) takes on No. 8 Matt Schnell (15-5, preventing out of Shreveport, La.)
- In a matchup of ranked girls’s flyweights, No. 11 Andrea Lee (11-5, preventing out of Shreveport, La.) meets No. 12 Antonina Shevchenko (9-2, preventing out of Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan)
- Extremely touted light-weight prospect Joel Alvarez (18-2, preventing out of Asturias, Spain) seeks to proceed his one hundred pc ending charge when he faces off with Christos Giagos (18-8, preventing out of Hawthorne, Calif.)
- Jordan Wright (11-1, 1 NC, preventing out of Los Angeles, Calif.) squares off with Jamie Pickett(11-5, preventing out of Wilmington, N.C.) in a matchup of middleweight Dana White Contender Collection alums
- Kevin Aguilar (17-4, preventing out of Longview, Texas) appears to spoil the UFC debut of Tucker Lutz (11-1, preventing out of Reisterstown, Md.) at featherweight
- Gina Mazany (7-4, preventing out of Las Vegas, Nev.) and Priscila Cachoeira (9-3, preventing out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) battle in a girls’s flyweight bout