Who’s Anthony Watson: Ten issues you need to know concerning the England wing
Anthony Watson made his England debut in November 2014 at Twickenham towards New Zealand and has gone on to make a half-century of appearances for his nation.
Listed below are extra information concerning the Tub star, who can play on the wing or at full-back…
Ten issues you need to learn about Anthony Watson
1. Anthony Watson was born on 26 February 1994 in Ashford, England. He stands at 6ft 2in (1.88m) and weighs 14st 13lb (95kg).
2. He joined Premiership membership Tub in the summertime of 2013 having beforehand performed for London Irish.
3. Watson was a part of the British & Irish Lions squad that toured New Zealand in 2017. He performed in all three Check matches towards the All Blacks and the sequence led to a draw after every group gained one match after which drew the third.
4. He began all 5 video games of England’s Six Nations Grand Slam in 2016 and was concerned within the title wins in 2017 and 2020 too.
He has additionally represented his nation in two World Cup campaigns and was part of Eddie Jones’s facet that misplaced 32-12 to South Africa within the 2019 ultimate.
5. He grew to become engaged to his long-term associate Alyse Miller in December 2019 and the couple have a son collectively referred to as Kai, who was born in November 2020.
6. He had considered switching to the NFL however determined to give attention to rugby after an Achilles damage sustained in 2018 saved him out of the sport for 13 months.
Watson informed The Mirror: “After what I’ve been by this previous yr, I realise I’ve acquired to maximise what I do in rugby.
“There are such a lot of issues I can study from different sports activities, together with NFL, by way of footwork and stuff like that. A variety of their expertise are transferable.”
MORE ON ANTHONY WATSON
There might be liberation in accepting that change…
He can change into a significant attacking weapon for…
The explosive England and Tub star talks us…
7. Watson has just a few well-known relations. His two brothers, Marcus and Callum, play for Wasps and Richmond respectively, whereas he additionally has an uncle, Mark, who was a Concorde pilot.
8. He gained his fiftieth cap for England within the 23-20 victory towards France within the 2021 Six Nations.
He stated post-match: “I don’t know the way to answer it as a result of I attempt to take every sport because it comes. Perhaps I’ll begin to mirror tonight, it is perhaps on the finish of this marketing campaign however I believe I’ll be pleased with it as soon as I get the time to do this.”
9. England legend Jonny Wilkinson was a childhood hero of Watson’s. “He was by no means cocky, by no means boastful, all the time under-the-radar humble,” Watson has stated of the fly-half.
10. Jason Robinson was one other participant Watson appeared as much as and the World Cup-winning winger gave him some recommendation at a dinner that has caught with him.
“He talked to me about backing my instincts,” Watson informed The Occasions. “It was one thing that resonated with me as a result of it’s one thing I might need misplaced my manner with during the last 18 months, getting a bit slowed down with doing the precise factor in the precise areas versus backing myself, understanding what I’m good at and sticking to it.
“I’ve undoubtedly listened to that piece of recommendation from Jason. Making your strengths even stronger. You generally overlook about these items of recommendation. It’s good to return and embed it.”
Can’t get to the retailers? You possibly can obtain the digital version of Rugby World straight to your pill or subscribe to the print version to get the journal delivered to your door.
Comply with Rugby World on Fb, Instagram and Twitter.