Are you able to consider that the commerce deadline is Monday? This season has flown by. There isn’t as a lot give attention to the commerce deadline this yr due to the COVID issues, however it nonetheless may need a number of surprises. In spite of everything, Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac to the Islanders was a shocking commerce. The Rangers aren’t anticipated to make a lot noise through the 2021 commerce deadline, however they might make a transfer or two. As per normal, I’ve some ideas.
1. There are just a few viable commerce choices on the deadline, and whereas the main target could also be on the UFAs, don’t be shocked if Julien Gauthier will get moved. There’s truthfully simply no spot for him, and that’s disappointing. I like Gauthier and suppose he’ll put it collectively to be a strong third line winger within the NHL. If he’s a late bloomer, he might be an amazing energy ahead. However the Rangers are stacked at wing and he could have extra worth in a commerce. I nonetheless suppose he has extra worth as a sweetener in an even bigger deal, however maybe somebody will get determined sufficient for depth with potential.
2. This yr is slightly humorous. The fact is that the Rangers already made “two acquisitions” within the final month or so. They received the actual Mika Zibanejad again, which was essential to evaluating the middle depth. Additionally they received Vitali Kravtsov into the lineup, shoring up their proper wing depth. Whereas they aren’t actually trades, they’re roster additions that assist.
3. I wouldn’t anticipate the Rangers to be patrons on the 2021 commerce deadline. They’re too far out of the playoff race, even with yesterday’s win. They’re 5 factors behind the Bruins, however the B’s have three video games in hand. Plus they’ve six video games in opposition to Buffalo after the commerce deadline. I do know the speak is about competing and making each recreation rely, however the Rangers need to see this and know they’re doubtless on the surface wanting in. It would cease them from making any huge splashes, at the least till after the growth draft.
4. I discussed this yesterday, however with Zac Jones rising as a prime NCAA defenseman, it makes you marvel if left protection turns into a viable commerce surplus. The Rangers can have three defensemen with expiring ELCs in three years (Robertson, Schneider, Skinner). That’s not superb for long run cap planning. This doesn’t account for Nils Lundkvist both. We all know RD is a depth place of power, however with Jones rising and Ok’Andre Miller/Ryan Lindgren with vital NHL roles, maybe Matthew Robertson might be a great addition in an even bigger commerce. Simply meals for thought.
5. I’m intrigued to see how this commerce deadline performs out. Nobody is anticipating something huge, particularly since a whole division can’t actually commerce exterior of Canada. Plus there are monetary points with COVID, limiting commerce conditions much more. One final facet: The divisions are going again to regular subsequent season, and a few playoff groups this yr could not even be within the operating subsequent yr. you, Arizona. Groups know this, so they might be much less more likely to spend actual property on leases.
6. Ryan Strome is the one intriguing asset that seems to be in play. It isn’t going to be a simple resolution, it doesn’t matter what the Rangers do with him. He’s received clear worth to the Rangers, particularly on that contract. However that contract makes him an amazing possibility for true competing groups searching for a middle-six middle. What’s the worth of Strome, who’s having his second straight profession yr, to a playoff staff? That’s two playoff runs for $4.5 million, a transparent cut price. Would some staff fork up a primary and a great prospect? Would the Rangers flip that down? I don’t envy Jeff Gorton proper now.