Former Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa led the Crimson to a come-from-behind victory within the nationwide championship recreation as a freshman, he was the Heisman Trophy runner-up as a sophomore and he was on tempo to probably contend for the Heisman once more as a junior earlier than struggling a season-ending harm. He completed his school profession as some of the environment friendly passers the game has ever seen.
Here is all the things you must learn about Tua Tagovailoa’s school profession.
The vitals on Tua Tagovailoa
Weight: 217 kilos
Years lively: 2017-19
Listed below are Tua Tagovailoa’s profession stats in school. Scroll to the appropriate to view the entire stats.
||makes an attempt
The place did Tua Tagovailoa go to varsity?
Tua Tagovailoa attended the College of Alabama, the place he began his profession as Jalen Hurts’ backup earlier than coming into the 2018 School Soccer Playoff Nationwide Championship and serving to the Crimson Tide win the nationwide championship. He then grew to become Alabama’s starter throughout the fall 2018 season and put collectively some of the environment friendly passing seasons within the historical past of the game.
What sort of prospect was Tua Tagovailoa in highschool?
Tagovailoa was ranked because the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback prospect within the 2017 recruiting class and one of many prime 40 gamers nationally, in line with the 247Sports Composite rankings.
What was Tua Tagovailoa’s report in school?
Within the 32 video games through which Tua Tagovailoa performed in school, Alabama went 30-2. He was 22-2 as a starter.
Data set by Tua Tagovailoa
Listed below are the data and statistical rankings set by Tagovailoa in school:
- 1st in FBS historical past in profession passing effectivity score (min. 325 completions): 199.45
- 1st in FBS historical past in proportion of passes for touchdowns in a season (min. 175 makes an attempt): 12.1 % (2018)
- 1st in FBS historical past in proportion of passes for touchdowns in a profession (min. 500 makes an attempt): 12.7 %
- 1st in FBS historical past in common achieve per play in a profession (min. 7,500 yards): 9.84 yards
- 1st in FBS historical past in profession passing effectivity amongst gamers with 400-499 completions: 199.5
- 1st in Alabama historical past in complete offense per recreation in a profession: 235.7 yards
- 1st in Alabama historical past in touchdowns in a recreation: Seven touchdowns (Sept. 28, 2019 vs. Ole Miss)
- 1st in Alabama historical past in touchdowns in a season: 48 touchdowns (2018)
- 1st in Alabama historical past in touchdowns in a profession: 96 touchdowns
- 1st in Alabama historical past in completion proportion in a recreation (min. eight makes an attempt): one hundred pc (Sept. 29, 2018 vs. Louisiana)
- 2nd in Alabama historical past in complete offense in a season: 4,156 yards (2018)
- 2nd, third in Alabama historical past in complete yards of offense per recreation in a season: 317.4 yards (2019); 277.1 yards per recreation (2018)
- 2nd in Alabama historical past in yards per play in a recreation (min. 20 performs): 14.5 yards (Nov. 17, 2018 vs. The Citadel)
- 2nd in Alabama historical past in passing yards in a season: 3,966 yards (2018)
- third in FBS historical past in passing effectivity score in a season (min. 15 makes an attempt per recreation): 199.4 (2018)
- third in Alabama historical past in complete offense in a profession: 7,782 yards
- third in Alabama historical past in profession passing yards: 7,442 yards
- sixth, seventh, ninth in Alabama historical past in complete offense in a recreation: 432 yards; 419 yards; 413 yards
What had been a few of Tua Tagovailoa’s greatest video games in school?
Listed below are a few of Tagovailoa’s most notable performances in school:
School Soccer Playoff Nationwide Championship: Alabama 26, Georgia 23 (OT) | Jan. 8, 2018
With Alabama trailing SEC foe Georgia 13-0 at halftime of the 2018 School Soccer Playoff Nationwide Championship, Alabama coach Nick Saban despatched then-backup quarterback Tua Tagovailoa to attempt to ignite the Crimson Tide’s offense within the second half. Tagovailoa had backed up starter Jalen Hurts all season and he was 35-for-53 passing for 470 yards, eight touchdowns and one interception in his reserve position within the common season. So he had performed some and carried out very properly — sometimes within the second halves of blowout wins — however this was the second half of the nationwide championship recreation.
Given the circumstances, Tagovailoa was simply what the physician order. He went 14-for-24 passing for 166 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, together with the game-winning strike to DeVonta Smith in time beyond regulation, giving the Crimson Tide one other nationwide championship.
Alabama 45, Texas A&M 23 | Sept. 22, 2018
For the second recreation in a row, Tagovailoa accomplished 73.3 % of his passes as he threw for a then-career-high 387 yards and 4 touchdowns, whereas additionally dashing for an additional rating, giving him 5 for the sport. His first passing landing got here 50 seconds into the sport to who else however DeVonta Smith and Tagovailoa’s closing passing landing went for 57 yards to Henry Ruggs III.
Alabama 52, Auburn 21 | Nov. 24, 2018
Enjoying in his first Iron Bowl, Tagovailoa was distinctive, finishing 25-of-32 passes (78.1 %) for 324 yards and 5 touchdowns, with none interceptions, and he rushed for a landing as properly, giving him six for the sport. It was a radical domination of Alabama’s archrival.
Alabama 45, Oklahoma 34 | Dec. 29, 2018
In Tagovailoa’s first and solely School Soccer Playoff win as a beginning quarterback, the sophomore quarterback powered a dominant first half because the Crimson Tide jumped out to a 28-0 lead over No. 4 seed Oklahoma within the recreation’s first 17 minutes. When Oklahoma made the margin extra respectable within the second half, Tagovailoa responded with two extra landing passes — one to DeVonta Smith and one other to Jerry Jeudy, which gave Tagovailoa 318 yards and 4 touchdowns for the sport. His 88.9 completion proportion (24-for-27) was the third-best of his profession, behind solely his 8-for-8 efficiency towards Louisiana in 2018 and his 11-for-12 effort towards Tennessee in 2019.
Alabama 59, Ole Miss 31 | Sept. 28, 2019
Tagovailoa was accountable for seven touchdowns on this 28-point win, which was essentially the most of his profession. He accomplished 72 % of his passes for 418 yards and 6 touchdowns, whereas dashing for a landing, too.
What awards did Tua Tagovailoa win in school?
Listed below are the awards and honors Tagovailoa received in school:
- 2017 School Soccer Playoff nationwide champion
- 2017 School Soccer Playoff Nationwide Championship Offensive MVP
- 2018 Orange Bowl MVP
- 2018 Sporting Information School Soccer Participant of the Tear
- 2018 Maxwell Award winner
- 2018 Walter Camp Award winner
- 2018 SEC Offensive Participant of the Yr
- 2018 consensus All-American
- 2018 First Workforce All-SEC
- 2018 Heisman Trophy runner-up
- 2019 Second Workforce All-SEC
What did folks say about Tua Tagovailoa?
Former Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts, after Tagovailoa changed him within the 2018 CFP Nationwide Championship and led Alabama to a win: “He simply stepped in and did his factor. He is constructed for stuff like this. I am so comfortable for him.”
Alabama coach Nick Saban, after Alabama received the 2018 CFP Nationwide Championship: “I simply thought we needed to throw the ball, and I felt he may do it higher, and he did. He did a great job, made some performs within the passing recreation. Only a nice win. I am so comfortable for Alabama followers. Nice for our gamers. Unbelievable.”
Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, after Alabama defeated Texas A&M 45-23 in 2018: “He is good. I imply he is good. He is received good folks round him. I imply he is received actually good folks round him, and we tried to stress him and he scrambled they usually’ve received a great scheme, they usually did a great job. He was very efficient at what he did.”
Former Arkansas coach Chad Morris, after Alabama defeated Arkansas 65-31 in 2018: “He’s a improbable chief and you may positively see that. They do a great job of shifting him round and his receivers do a great job of discovering holes.”
Saban, after Alabama defeated Auburn 52-21 in 2018: “I assumed Tua was into it. His management was actually essential for our offense.
Saban, after Alabama defeated Oklahoma within the Orange Bowl: “Our offense actually managed the tempo of the sport. The one time we actually received stopped within the recreation is after we stopped ourselves.”